Thursday, May 28, 2009

New layer for mobile GoogleEarth

With the marriage of geospatial mapping + mobile Internet devices + GPS, users on-the-go can finally get answers to these questions: 

1. Where am I now?
2. What's near me?

Google's has made the answer to #2 even more robust by adding another layer to its iPhone app.  Google's blog about it:Google LatLong: Businesses layer for Google Earth on your iPhone
"You'll find businesses like restaurants, bars, banks, gas stations, and grocery stores all just a touch away."
Of course it offers address and telephone information, too. 

Adding this feature to GoogleEarth original "spin the globe" functionality, the mobile app becomes a LOT more practical than it was before.  I'll use it more in the real world than I did. (All this information is available for desktop GoogleEarth, too.)

Now, as any good journalist does, I want to ask the next question:

3. WHY does my world look like this?

That's a different layer for a different time.

No comments:

Post a Comment